friends of garner.org
This website was reconstructed with new photos and content in August 2013. All photos and content are the property of the Friends Of Garner State Park Organization and are reserved. For questions regarding the FOG website contact: FriendsOfGarner.firstname.lastname@example.org
For those older Garner Park "kids" who went to Garner during the 60's & 70's who would like to read stories about those great days in the park visit the link below:
The land for Garner State Park was acquired in 1934 through 1936. In 1934, the Texas State Parks Board approved the location for a future state park, and the Texas Legislature provided funding for state parks. The Civilian Conservation Corps made the park’s original improvements, which included a large pavilion and a concessions building. The property was conveyed to the State Parks Board in 1936, and it opened as Garner State Park in 1941. The park was named for John Nance Garner, former Vice-President of the United States who lived and practiced law in the Concan area.
The park's size more than doubled when 790 acres (320 ha) were added in 1976. Garner State Park is a 1419.8 acres (10 water acres of the Frio River) recreational facilities located in northern Uvalde County, 31 miles north of the town of Uvalde, nine miles south of Leakey, or eight miles north of Concan on the Frio River. From US Highway 83, turn east on FM 1050 to the Park Road 29 new entrance.